Mashed Potato Recipe
Traditional Mashed Potatoes
Ultimate Comfort Food
Restaurant Starch Recipe
A traditional Mashed
Potato Recipe makes the ultimate comfort food and is one of those dishes
you can get creative with by adding all sorts of ingredients if you wish.
You can add garlic, cheese, cauliflower, herbs and other
spices very easily.
But before you can do that, you have to know how to make
classic, good, old-fashioned homemade mashed potatoes.
Traditional Mashed Potato Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes. Serves 15-16.
- 8-10 pounds of starchy potatoes such as Russet or
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt (less if you use regular
- 1/2 - 3/4 pound room temperature butter (2-3 cubes
per your taste)
- 1-2 cups heavy cream (whipping cream) or milk
- 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper (if desired)
- Peel potatoes and cut into same size pieces
- Place the potato pieces in a large pot of cold
water as you peel them so the potatoes will not turn brown
- Cover with cold water, add salt and bring to boil
- Turn heat down to allow potatoes to simmer until
just soft (do not over cook or the potatoes will turn watery)
- Pour water off (or save for another use)
- Heat cream or milk but do not boil
- Mash potatoes with a hand mixer or stand mixer
- Add butter and mash until incorporated
- Add hot cream or milk (add only enough until
potatoes are the right consistency) and mash until smooth but with a few lumps
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the pot with a kitchen towel and then
plastic wrap and then a tight fitting lid to keep warm or transfer to a covered
to a crock pot on warm, cover with kitchen towel and then the crock pot lid
To serve: Uncover,
stir lightly and top with more butter. :-)
Enjoy your mashed potatoes and the company of those you
share them with!
"Mashed potatoes are the candy of vegetables."