Cooking Terms O P and Q
Easy to Understand Cooking Dictionary
This page provides cooking definitions for cooking terms O P and Q.
Cooking Terms can be a little confusing so these definitions are provided for frequently used terms found in recipes and articles about cooking.
As with all dictionaries, the terms are alphabetized (I think ;-) )
Cooking Terms O P and Q : Learning the Language
Cooking Terminology: Words starting with "O"
- organic - grown
or raised without chemicals or artificial growth enhancers, without chemical
fertilizers or chemical pesticides (this is a favorite topic of mine)
- oven bake - to cook
foods surrounded by hot dry air
- oven broil - to cook
with radiant heat from above
- oven poach - to cook
in the oven with a small amount of water or another liquid
Cooking Terminology: Words starting with "P"
- pan broil - cooking food in a heavy pan
without added fat and removing any fat that is produced as you cook the item
- pan fry - to cook in a
moderate amount of fat, uncovered
- papillote - a cooking
method where a product is wrapped in a special paper or foil and baked so that
the food cooks in its own juices
- parboil - to cook
partially in a simmering or boiling liquid for a short period of time
- parchment paper - a
special, non-stick, silicone coated, heat resistent paper used in cooking
- pare or peel - to
remove the outer layer of skin from certain foods (usually fruits and
- pickle - to preserve
or flavor food in brine
- pinch - a measurement of less than 1/16th of a teaspoon (same as "dash")
- pipe - to squeeze a soft food item from a pastry bag to another food item, usually in a decorative manner
- pit - to remove the center seed from fruits
- poach - to cook very gently (slowly) in a liquid that is hot but not boiling or bubbling
- precook - to partially cook food before final cooking process
- preheat - to heat an oven (or sometimes a pan) to a recommended temperature before cooking in it
- pressure cooking - using steam under a locked lid to produce high temperatures to accomplish a fast cooking time
- proof - a cooking term used for the growth of a yeast dough's rise
- puree' - the action of mashing a food until it has a thick, smooth consistency; usually done by a blender or food processor or pushed through a colander
Cooking Terminology: Words starting with "Q"
No cooking terms for "Q"
Hopefully this cooking dictionary will prove helpful in your pursuit of cooking with confidence and style.
“The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."